[unisog] Academic Freedom

Bill Mowery bill.mowery at sc.edu
Wed Oct 16 14:37:07 GMT 2002

Folks,

This is all an intellectually stimulating conversation, but from my
experience and perspective reality is:

* Universities are the property and playground of the academics. Staff and
other lower forms of life are to be tolerated.

* If it comes down to your opinion and that of academia, you lose - period
- regardless of the validity of your perspective.

* Things like responsibility, data security, and the common good are fine
ideas on paper - until they inconvenience the academic community in some way.

* Any academic, regardless of education, experience, or background knows
more about what's good for computing technology than you do.

If this sounds a bit cynical, perhaps it is. After objecting to things such as:

* Networks allowed to participate in DOS attacks because we "don't want to
upset dept. X".
* Invasion of privacy in email systems by system admins.
* Objecting to what "could have been" the coverup of athletic recruiting
violations using technology.
* Objecting to putting into production a new enterprise-wide online
instructional system at the beginning of a semester when the vendor was
only able to install it two days ago.

I now find myself out of a senior management position with a drastic salary
cut and no job (here it's called the "Penalty Box" although I'm the only
one to ever have a salary cut while I have Time Out).

The rule is: it doesn't have to make sense, it doesn't have to be ethical
or honest, and it doesn't have to do with the common good. The only thing
that matters is that you don't think about anything that might tarnish the
reputation of the institution and don't dare infringe on rights, real or
perceived, of the academic community.

At 02:55 PM 10/15/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Ah, a sense of entitlement and being indignant about it. One of the many
>charms of higher-ed....

"No man is justified in doing evil on the ground of expediency."
- Theodore Roosevelt