[unisog] massive uptick in targeted spam this weekend and week

Steve VanDevender stevev at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Oct 17 17:57:14 GMT 2002

James Morris writes:
 > They're also changing IP addresses fairly frequently to avoid
 > counter-measures based on rate detection..

They're spamming through open HTTP and SOCKS proxies.

Altogether spam rejection volume on one of my hosts has nearly tripled
since last week, and they're a major part of that.

Someone on SPAM-L says they look like the "Empire Towers" spammers based
on some common features of the messages, particularly certain patterns
of obfuscated URLs used in the messages.