Access control in wireless and other plublic access networks

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Oct 21 21:13:45 GMT 2002

Hi All,
	We are a looking for access control methods for large new project that
will see both wireless LANs and publicly accessible network sockets in a
large study area.  I have followed this list since its inception so I
have seen the previous discussions on securing wireless LANs and I am
following up several leads including Vernier and Nokia.

The problem of securing publicly accessible network ports strikes me as
being very similar to that of controlling access on a wireless network.

My question is "Is anyone using the same systems to secure both wireless
and physical ports?".

Having one mechanism for both has obvious attractions.

I'd also like to know of any 'new' products that I might miss by
concentrating my research on the list archives.

Cheers and thanks,

Russell

"It aint necessarily so"  - Gershwin