[unisog] Access control in wireless and other plublic access networks

Arnold, Jamie harnold at binghamton.edu
Tue Oct 22 12:27:08 GMT 2002

VPN and NAT.....works just fine.....

-----Original Message-----
From: Russell Fulton [mailto:r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz]
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 5:14 PM
To: unisog at sans.org
Subject: [unisog] Access control in wireless and other plublic access
networks

Hi All,
	We are a looking for access control methods for large new project
that will see both wireless LANs and publicly accessible network sockets in
a large study area.  I have followed this list since its inception so I have
seen the previous discussions on securing wireless LANs and I am following
up several leads including Vernier and Nokia.

The problem of securing publicly accessible network ports strikes me as
being very similar to that of controlling access on a wireless network.

My question is "Is anyone using the same systems to secure both wireless and
physical ports?".

Having one mechanism for both has obvious attractions.

I'd also like to know of any 'new' products that I might miss by
concentrating my research on the list archives.

Cheers and thanks,

Russell

"It aint necessarily so"  - Gershwin