Strange things from our residence.

Pete Hickey pete at shadows.uottawa.ca
Tue Oct 22 19:26:59 GMT 2002

SO we've had a weird problem (on a subnet) in one of our residences.
It seems like people were gradually loosing connectivity.  What was
happening is that someone was sending out ethernet packets with a
source MAC address of FFFFFFFFFFFF..  A broadcast as the asource.

NOw, what the switch was doing (a bug IMO) was noting that this was
the MAC associated with that port.  Then, all broadcasts were directed
to that port, and not broadcast.  Arps would then stop working, new
connections wouldn't DHCP, etc...

What I'm wondering, is what was he doing.  I want to capture the
guy and torture him to find out, but I seem to be running into
some resistence.

Did he just screw up, or is this some kind of (bungled?) way to do
something nasty?

-Pete
--
Pete Hickey               |                         |"It runs like x, where
Communication Services    | Pete at mudhead.uottawa.CA | x is something unsavory"