provide storage to Unix and Windows users

Joseph Yip yip at ucalgary.ca
Wed Oct 23 00:31:07 GMT 2002

Greetings all,

I am on a committee to discuss and develop a mechanism to provide
storage service to our Unix and Windows users.  I wonder what other
universities and colleges are doing in this area.  In particular:

1) Are the files stored under Unix or Windows?
2) What is the software used to do file serving (e.g. Samba, Services
for Unix...)?
3) We have over 50,000 accounts and the users should use the same
password to login on Unix and Windows. What is the software used to do
authentication (e.g. LDAP, Kerboros)?
4) Are your users happy with the service?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with us!

Joseph Yip
Information Technologies
University of Calgary