[unisog] provide storage to Unix and Windows users

Marion Hakanson hakanson at cse.ogi.edu
Wed Oct 23 01:28:09 GMT 2002

> I am on a committee to discuss and develop a mechanism to provide
> storage service to our Unix and Windows users.  I wonder what other
> universities and colleges are doing in this area.  In particular:

We're extremely happy with our Network Appliance filer.  It's a bit
expensive, but so far we've found nothing else that comes close to
doing as well at serving up the same files to both types of clients.
Windows clients think they're talking to a Windows server, and Unix
clients think they're talking to any other NFS server.

> 1) Are the files stored under Unix or Windows?
> 2) What is the software used to do file serving (e.g. Samba, Services
> for Unix...)?

is a good resource as well -- see the archives at:

   http://teaparty.mathworks.com:1999/toasters/Explanation.html

> 3) We have over 50,000 accounts and the users should use the same
> password to login on Unix and Windows. What is the software used to do
> authentication (e.g. LDAP, Kerboros)?

The NetApp can speak to an NT domain controller (or Active Directory)
for Windows clients, an NIS server for NFS clients, and it can also
use a local password file.  I've heard tell of folks using Sun's
NIS-to-LDAP software to use LDAP for NFS client authentication, but
have no experience with that myself.

> 4) Are your users happy with the service?

Very.  And so are we who have to support them.  We are a small site
(hundreds of accounts, not thousands), but we have a small filer,
and they do make big ones, and they also sell more than one filer
per customer (:-).

Regards,

--
Marion Hakanson <hakanson at cse.ogi.edu>