[unisog] Slashdot's UCSB Article

Gary Flynn flynngn at jmu.edu
Tue Oct 1 22:50:52 GMT 2002

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Oct 2002 14:16:32 EDT, Gary Flynn said:
>
> > Why not? Its the organization's network. AUPs regularly put constraints
> > on the operation of a computer and behavior of its operator. Why shouldn't
> > connection be based on the application of a certain registry configuration
> > (which is really all a policy is)?
>
> There's a difference between saying "your machine must be secured thusly
> to connect to the network" and "you must give me root on your machine so
> I can secure it for you".
>
> > But they own the network.
>
> And if you are forced to join a domain, they effectively own the box too.

True. I hadn't thought of that in relation to student computers. Its also
true of Netware and probably PCNFS and SAMBA or any other "NOS" whose
clients hook into the OS and run login scripts.

It would be like an ISP running a NOS and using it to manage its
customers' configurations for them. Scary no matter what side of the
fence you look at it from. :)

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services