[unisog] Cross-reference apps to TCP/UDP connections on UNIX??

Anderson Johnston andy at umbc.edu
Mon Oct 7 22:54:07 GMT 2002

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Marion Hakanson wrote:

> I use the open-source tool "lsof" for this, among other useful tasks.
> Some systems have "fuser" as well, though I can't recall if that looks
> at network descriptors as well as file descriptors.

Fuser implementations vary with the O/S.  Solaris doesn't support network
descriptors, AFAIK.  Linux fuser supports a "-n" option allowing
specification of file, tcp or udp "name space".

Lsof is really preferable.  In fact, I would recommend a static (if
possible) build on CD for each Unix O/S you are responsible for.  This
along with other useful binaries, of course.

				- Andy

> Regards,
>
> --
> Marion Hakanson <hakanson at cse.ogi.edu>
> CSE Computing Facilities
>

> > . . .
> > In other words, it sure would be cool to cross reference the output of
> > netstat with the output of ps.  Specifically, tying the process ID and/or
> > the user ID together with the TCP/UDP ports/connections being used would
> > be great.
> >
> > Has anybody any suggestions, or is this just wishful thinking on my part?
> >

> > Clarke Morledge
> > College of William and Mary
> > Information Technology - Network Engineering
> > Jones Hall (Room 18)
> > Williamsburg VA 23187
> > 757-221-1536
> > chmorl at wm.edu

** Andy Johnston (andy at umbc.edu)          *            pager: 410-678-8949  **
** Manager of IT Security                 * PGP key:(afj2002) 4096/8448B056 **
** Office of Information Technology, UMBC *   4A B4 96 64 D9 B6 EF E3 21 9A **
** 410-455-2583 (v)/410-455-1065 (f)      *   46 1A 37 11 F5 6C 84 48 B0 56 **