Windows Messaging Spam

Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu
Wed Oct 9 15:38:57 GMT 2002

Twice this week every computer at the University of Connecticut had a poem
and URL sent to it through windows messaging ("net send").  It looks like
a very creative form of spam.  It was sent by an off-campus address in a
cable modem range, and we have logged a complaint with the ISP.  Other
than finally approving our windows networking block there is little we can
do about it, except for blocking the IP address of the sender.

Anyone else get these messages?  This is the first time I have seen them
on such a wide-scale....

Message from PC64 (24.199.17.61) to COMPUTERNAME on 10/6/2002 10:34:37 PM

Love must kiss that mortal's eyes
Who hopes to see fair Arcady
{snipped rest of poem}

Henry Cuyler Bunner (1855-1896)