[unisog] Windows Messaging Spam

Pat Wilson paw at noh.ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 9 17:12:29 GMT 2002

We've seen this, too.  Haven't had time to look into it...

Pat Wilson
Network Security Manager
UCSD ACS/Network Operations
paw at ucsd.edu
6F3A AE75 F931 3A19 D207 19F3 DB9B 29DC 2C3F E015

Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu writes:

	Twice this week every computer at the University of Connecticut had a poem
	and URL sent to it through windows messaging ("net send").  It looks like
	a very creative form of spam.  It was sent by an off-campus address in a
	cable modem range, and we have logged a complaint with the ISP.  Other
	than finally approving our windows networking block there is little we can
	do about it, except for blocking the IP address of the sender.

	Anyone else get these messages?  This is the first time I have seen them
	on such a wide-scale....

	Message from PC64 (24.199.17.61) to COMPUTERNAME on 10/6/2002 10:34:37 PM

	Love must kiss that mortal's eyes
	Who hopes to see fair Arcady
	{snipped rest of poem}

	Henry Cuyler Bunner (1855-1896)