[unisog] Packeteer PacketShaper

Steve Bernard sbernard at gmu.edu
Thu Oct 10 13:52:18 GMT 2002

I got our first PacketShaper in '99, a 4500, for our dorms because we were
experiencing the same problems that you describe. What took you so long,
Napster is already a dinosaur? ;) The box paid for itself in under 6 months
and the positive effects were immediate. We've subsequently upgraded to a
6500 ISP, but I'd go with the 8500 if you have the money. An important thing
to keep in mind is that Packeteer rates their boxes for total throughput,
non-duplex. So when they say "the 6500 is a 100Mb box", that means, for
example, 50Mb inbound and 50Mb outbound. The 8500 will allow you to carry
100Mb in both directions, if needed. This could be worked around by using
"Ignore" policies on local traffic, i.e. don't shape it, but that's not
always desirable.

As you say, BW Mgmt. is part art, part science. I strongly recommend
creating an open communication channel with your students and the computer
support group. The students will be an invaluable asset in determining the
best mix of usability and business priorities. Determining the business
needs is pretty easy, it's balancing those with the needs of the students
that gets tricky. It's also very educational. The scheduler is useful for
altering rules for peak and off-peak hours.

I've got some issues with the PacketShapers but, nothing major. The
web-interface is a pain when the box is under high load and reports can take
awhile to generate, but so are most other web-interfaces. Navigating around
with the web-interface can be time consuming because it's having to transfer
and layout big HTML tables. At the same time, the web GUI provides the most
information and is the easiest medium for certain tasks, kind of a Catch-22.
There really isn't a scripting environment, per se. There are, of course, a
wealth of CLI commands but, you'll need to use something like Perl, Windows
Scripting Host, shell scripts, etc. on another computer to do anything
intricate. FTP, Telnet, or SNMP can be used to interact with the box. There
should be a SSH2 server. The diagnostic commands for the box are limited but
slowly improving. I haven't tested the VLAN, MPLS, or DiffServ functionality
enough to say much on those. Now that I think about it, the CLI is a bit of
a pain. For example, command history doesn't work. Pressing any of the arrow
keys (up, down, left, right) on your keyboard, because I forget that command
history doesn't work, will move the cursor on the screen and then cause an
error to be returned the next time that you press "Enter" because, "Command
contains invalid character(s)".

Let me know if there are other questions,

Steve Bernard
Systems Engineer, NET
George Mason University