[unisog] Packeteer PacketShaper

Daniel MacKay Daniel.MacKay at Dal.Ca
Fri Oct 11 12:48:55 GMT 2002

As a result of totally pegged outgoing traffic (to the point of
single-digit percent packet loss) we bought a 6500 and hooked it up
last week. Our exec. director enthusiastically installed just one
partition for KaZaA amounting to about 15% of our bandwidth.
Incoming usage dropped slightly, outgoing bandwidth dropped to 25% of
bandwidth.

We did run the thing in "observe only" mode for a day or so, and I
can see that there is a significant increase in Gnutella and other
protocols.  Obviously the right solution is to combine all the
undesirable P2P protocols into one folder and partition that.

The unit stalled out once and was passing minimal traffic (its front
screen read "0.2") and was not manageable by telnet, but in my panic
I didn't try the console.  I pulled both power cords and it did
switch to "crossover cable" mode.

If it happens again I will build a system to monitor it and switch it
out of the circuit when it goes down or melts down or whatever it did.
--
Daniel MacKay                           Daniel.MacKay at Dal.Ca
Network Services Manager                +1.902.494.danm