[unisog] Recommendation for network taps?

sbernard at gmu.edu sbernard at gmu.edu
Fri Oct 11 20:11:31 GMT 2002

Greg,

Netoptics' products have worked well for me. Some of the multi-network
taps can get quite pricey but, they do the job. I use the fiber-optic
units, I have not tried the copper taps. Given that you're looking to
do 100Mb I'll venture to guess that their products will work equally
well as their OC-3 and Gig units.

The couple of times that I've called their support line the people have
been helpful and friendly. I initially had the problem that the link in
from our providor is too hot for the replication/distribution
components in the tap. It bridged the packets just fine, it just wasn't
able to send signal to the tap ports, i.e. normal network operation was
fine. So, I could see/tap packets leaving the network, but not coming
in from the outside. In the past I had experienced similar difficulty
with the providor's signal strength while using some ATM PCI cards but
had thought that the problem was isolated to those cards. In both
cases, swapping through various attenuators produced the optimal signal
strength.

Hope that this helps,

Steve Bernard
Systems Engineer, NET