[unisog] Posting of Bandwidth Hogs

Daniel G. Epstein depstein at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 11 22:52:45 GMT 2002

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 05:09:59PM -0500, Mary M. Chaddock wrote:
> We are considering the use of peer presure to help regulate the bandwidth
> usage.
>
> Are any universitiies posting "Top Bandwidth Hog" lists? If so are, how
> are you doing it? What information to you provide? Who has access to
> it?
>
> Have you noticed results? What do the students think of this?

Greetings,

Would that count as a 'student record' under FERPA?  I guess I'd be
afraid that someone would use it as an excuse to overreact and either
attack the machines of the bandwidth hogs, or otherwise cause a problem
for them.  This would result in bigger security headaches for you and
possibly cause the bandwidth hogs to retaliate with legal action.
IMHO, it'd be better to checkout the packet-shaping thread and see if
you can implement something like that.

Cheers,

Dan

--

A boast of "I have been's,"  | Daniel G. Epstein
quoted from foolscap tomes,  | Network Security Officer,

GnuPG public keys available from http://pgp.mit.edu/
or http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml