[unisog] Dealing with security patches at the desktop

Sawyer, John H. JSawyer at mail.ifas.ufl.edu
Mon Oct 14 12:26:39 GMT 2002

I have had M$'s SUS on my ToDo list for a couple of months now.  It is a
freebie that lets you push critical updates to XP/2000 boxes.  It uses a
client-server architecture, and I think the client is included in the latest
Service Packs from M$.  Since I manage a small department, this is a much
more cost-effective option than SMS.  Below is a link with plenty of
whitepapers and downloads to get you on your way.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/windowsupdate/sus/default.asp

"Microsoft Software Update Services (SUS) is designed to greatly simplify
the process of keeping Windows-based systems up-to-date with the latest
critical updates. SUS enables administrators to quickly and reliably deploy
critical updates to their Windows 2000-based servers as well as desktop
computers running Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional."

-jhs

John H. Sawyer
Environmental Horticulture Dept
University of Florida