Academic Freedom

Bill Martin bmartin at luc.edu
Mon Oct 14 16:01:45 GMT 2002

I'm sure at one time or another, we as admins have all implemented changes which resulted in the reply of "your infringing on my academic freedom". This seems to be a big issues when it comes to Internet access of any sort, be is mail, web, file transferring/sharing, etc.

This for me posses a huge questions:
     "what defines academic freedom, both legally and philosophically"

I can easily see many zealots taking this to an extreme and conversely, I can see the overly conservative closing down anything that is not presented by a faculty member.

Given this, how are other organizations approaching issues when this trump card is played in order to prevent, reverse, or implement a change?

-Bill Martin-
Sr. Systems Analyst
Loyola University Chicago
bmartin at luc.edu