[unisog] Academic Freedom

Martin, James E. martin at more.net
Mon Oct 14 16:26:16 GMT 2002

One slide from a presentation I did last week:

"No known definition of an open educational system:

*Empowers any user to monopolize bandwidth at the expense of others
*Gives sanction for users to violate copyright or other laws
*Gives sanction for users to attack other devices or networks
*Permits a situation to continue that causes injury or damage to outside parties
*Immunizes the school for failure to practice due diligence in maintenance

Educational use is a business purpose of the network. Activity that puts continued educational use of our network at risk is not acceptable."

Jim

James E. Martin
MOREnet Network Security Coordinator
University of Missouri System