[unisog] Posting of Bandwidth Hogs

Mitch Collinsworth mitch at ccmr.cornell.edu
Tue Oct 15 13:43:03 GMT 2002

Of course this only happened _after_ the meltdown.  Things had gotten
so bad that I was getting complaints from faculty and staff that they
were experiencing many-second keystroke echo (when they experienced
keystroke echo at all) when using ssh from their home machine on cable
modem to their office machine.  The funny thing was I was experiencing
no problem at all over my 56k modem, seeing as how the modem pool is
on-campus and thus doesn't go through the internet connection.
Complainants were not amused when I suggested they could improve
performance by switching from cable modem back to dial-up.

It was only after conditions finally degraded to this point that we
succeeded in convincing the central network folks that they had to do
something to throttle the excessive recreational use of bandwidth in
the resnet, as it was now demonstrably interfering with university
business and sponsored research.  After a long period of insisting
that bandwidth would not be limited in any way, course was changed
and bandwidth limiting was finally put in place.  [And in defense of
our fine networking folks, it was not their decision previously to not
institute bandwidth shaping, that decision came to them from above.]

Results from the staff/faculty side were immediate improvement.  If
memory serves, this is when the students finally took an interest in
the subject and presumably when the student assembly got involved.

I, too, would be interested in what if any results have been achieved
through this effort.  Nothing has been published that has come to my
attention so far.

-Mitch