[unisog] Academic Freedom

Jerry A. Copus copus at uwplatt.edu
Wed Oct 16 13:59:02 GMT 2002

For the record, we also currently require that our students sign a
statement about accepting the AUP etc. before they receive their account.
However I'm currently questioning the necessity of the huge overhead we
incur in time, materials, filing etc. since I do not believe it adds any
more validity in a legal sense versus simply notifying them up front and on
a regular basis of the rules that apply. We'd like to implement an
electronic registration system at some point like many schools already have.

My point to them in #2 below is that there are many cases in society where
rules apply to you regardless of whether you agree with them or have signed
off on them beforehand. Same with our AUP, our ISP's AUP, Copyright law,
etc.

I also believe Jim Dillon is correct in that we shouldn't walk into this
with the "take it or leave it" attitude. I reserve my responses described
earlier as a reality check for the particularly loud and indignant, as I'm
sure Bill Martin does. It's fun to talk about being a BOFH, but in practice
(at least in Higher-Ed) you can't REALLY be one!

--On Wednesday, October 16, 2002 8:12 AM -0500 "Daniel G. Epstein"
<depstein at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 02:55:18PM -0500, Jerry A. Copus wrote:

<snip!>

>> I also did not sign anything saying that I agree to or accept the laws,
>> yet  they still apply and I'm held responsible by society for violating
>> them.
>
> We actually make them accept our EAUP as part of the process of
> claiming their directory/email accounts when they are incoming students
> (they need their directory accounts to claim an IP address in the
> dorms).  We then periodically send out reminders saying that use of the
> network constitutes acceptance of the policies governing it.  The Univ.
> of Chicago administration, for good or evil, recently decided that
> email was an official and preferred mode of communication.  Now if we
> could only get everyone to require GnuPG/PGP.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dan
>
> --
>
> A boast of "I have been's,"  | Daniel G. Epstein
> quoted from foolscap tomes,  | Network Security Officer,
> is a shadow brushed away     | Network Security & Enterprise
> by an acorn from an oak tree |  Network Systems Administration
> or a salmon in a pool.       | NSIT, The University of Chicago
>                              | depstein at uchicago.edu
>
> GnuPG public keys available from http://pgp.mit.edu/
> or http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml

                 Jerry A. Copus -- Network Administrator