[unisog] Costs of network abuse

Martin, James E. martin at more.net
Wed Oct 16 14:58:04 GMT 2002

Anyone know of a good detailed open work on the cost of handling security events in an academic environment?

I'm aware of the Big Ten Universities' Incident Cost Analysis Modeling Project. The I-CAMP-II report came out in 2000 (see http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/1999-6/icamp.html for contact info). There's also the Dittrich article at http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1592.

What are others using to build their models? Has anyone reduced this to the point of providing a spreadsheet or secured web form for victims to fill out for individual security events, with tracking over time to factor in history and costs of a network? Currently, our help desk app allows up to track our own time for a downstream network, easily extract two years' history (and our CSIRT time costs, and search archives to get another five years, but I don't have a good model/tool for modelling the victim end.

Thanks!
Jim

James E. Martin
MOREnet Network Security Coordinator