[unisog] massive uptick in targeted spam this weekend and week

Michael Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Fri Oct 18 16:10:43 GMT 2002

On Thursday 17 October 2002 01:01 pm, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> IANAL either - but this argument would probably be countered by a defense
> lawyer who took a variant on the "Welcome to VMS" argument.  The site

Well, that's the beauty of case law---you don't know what's allowed
or not until you bring it to trial.

> But a relay or proxy is there for *one reason* - to allow another software
> program to send its data through it.  Each connection to send spam through
> is using the proxy or relay *for its intended purpose*.

Or, a proxy is run to allow a small set of people to relay a small
number of messages, written by humans on a mail or web client.  But
not for a spammer to automate sending thousands of messages.

My main point was, until such cases are brought under the CFAA, or
other statutes, there is little disincentive to spamming.  To those
with few more scruples, and no sense of community, an unenforced law
is the same as no law.

Mike