[unisog] Campus Security Training Programs

Kathy Bergsma kathya at nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu
Tue Oct 22 20:29:40 GMT 2002

We recently started Orientation for IT Staff to welcome new IT staff, make them
feel a part of team, show them available resources and make them aware of their
responsibilities.  See
http://net-services.ufl.edu/security/orientation/it_staff.shtml.

We also offer Peer Training to take advantage local expertise.  These are held
at least 3 times per year.  Additional workshops are held as needed.  We just
finished a workshop on network documentation.  We have other workshops scheduled
for writing policy and business recovery plans.

We contracted with Foundstone to conduct a few web seminars.  It was a less
expensive way to get professional training to more people.  They also offer some
free seminars from the Global Knowledge web site.

Once a year, we host Information Technology Security Awareness Day (ITSA Day).
We invite speakers from education, industry, and law enforcement.  The speakers
come at their own expense.  We provide booths for vendors.  The vendors cater
the refreshments.  Attendees come from UF, other state universities, regional
industry and law enforcement.  There are usually about 150 attendees.  We
alo webcast and record the event. Archives are available from
http://www.itsa.ufl.edu/.

Kathy Bergsma
UF IT Security Coordinator
352-392-2061