[unisog] Access control in wireless and other plublic access networks

Richard Gadsden gadsden at musc.edu
Wed Oct 23 02:28:48 GMT 2002

On 22 Oct 2002, Russell Fulton wrote:

> My question is "Is anyone using the same systems to secure both wireless
> and physical ports?".

Yes. We've had very good results with an open source authentication
gateway, which we use to authenticate both wireless, and some wired users,
e.g. users of machines/ports in unsupervised student labs.

Our approach is documented here:

 <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Authentication-Gateway-HOWTO>

Like everyone else, we're also playing with the IEEE 802.1x protocol for
authentication and access control. Some variants of this (e.g. EAP-TTLS)
are more or less usable today, but 802.1x is still a moving target.

 --- o ---
 Richard Gadsden
 Director of Computer and Network Security
 Medical University of South Carolina
 Charleston, SC, USA