[unisog] provide storage to Unix and Windows users

Patrick Darden darden at armc.org
Wed Oct 23 12:10:47 GMT 2002

We use Quantum's NAS here, and are very happy with it.  Until recently,
Network Appliance really had the edge both performance-wise and
features-wise with Journaling, Snapshots, redundant power supplies and
nics, etc. Quantum had the edge pricewise, but was still only competitive
in the small NAS arena. However, in the past few months Quantum has
released their Guardian series of products with all kinds of advanced
features including journaling, snapshots, redundant power and nics, high
availability thru clustering, and huge amounts of storage per box.  Their
prices are still phenomenal as well.  They also support nfs2/3, SMB, NT
domain authentication, ADS, and even Apple file sharing.

Don't get me wrong, I have used Network Appliance boxes since the early
90's and have no complaints whatsoever.  They are a great high-end choice.

As far as 50,000 accounts--I am unsure what that means.  If you are
talking about 50,000 PC's and Unix server mounting file systems then you
are going to have a problem.  If you are talking about 20-200 servers
ataching to this NAS for common file systems like /home then you are ok.
If you are really talking about 50,000 PC's in dorms attaching, then you
will want several (as in A LOT) NAS boxes, perhaps keeping images of
eachother, and the PC's attaching via some load balancer.  Easily enough
done.

--
--Patrick Darden                Internetworking Manager
--                              706.475.3312    darden at armc.org
--                              Athens Regional Medical Center