[unisog] provide storage to Unix and Windows users

Casey J Feskens cfeskens at willamette.edu
Wed Oct 23 15:00:28 GMT 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Joseph Yip wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I am on a committee to discuss and develop a mechanism to provide
> storage service to our Unix and Windows users.  I wonder what other
> universities and colleges are doing in this area.  In particular:
>
> 1) Are the files stored under Unix or Windows?

We used a Unix box connected to a fast disk array, along with some
volume management.

> 2) What is the software used to do file serving (e.g. Samba, Services
> for Unix...)?

Samba, NFS, Netatalk

> 3) We have over 50,000 accounts and the users should use the same
> password to login on Unix and Windows. What is the software used to do
> authentication (e.g. LDAP, Kerboros)?

NSS_LDAP.  We're pretty heavily invested into our existing LDAP
infrastructure, so this seemed like the obvious choice for us.  Works
well if you are used to dealing with Unix users and/or groups.

> 4) Are your users happy with the service?

Indeed.  We've been using our service for a little over a year now.  The
users are happy having fast access, and not having disks fill up, and
we're happy having some flexibility with our storage.

The appletalk support through netatalk is probably the most kludgy part,
but we're hoping that OS X will help us phase that out.

Take care,

Casey Feskens <cfeskens at willamette.edu>
System Administrator/Network Svcs. Consultant
Willamette University, Salem, OR