[unisog] Suggestions for bridging firewall?

Roelof JT Jonkman roel at SiliconDefense.com
Tue Oct 29 00:33:16 GMT 2002

Peter,

Linux + netfilter is good:

http://www.netfilter.org and you need the patch from
http://bridge.sourceforge.net to make netfilter work with the bridging
code. (It works well)
Additionally if you want fancier ethernet/mac level filtering you can
use ebtables: http://users.pandora.be/bart.de.schuymer/ebtables/
And you can throw in the advanced routing stuff, which makes for
quite a nifty feature full firewall/routing/bridging box.

OpenBSD is good too, less features than the Linux variety, but works
well.

You don't need much of a powerhouse either to deal with 100Mbps,
a PIII of any sort is fine I'm sure. We used to do it on a PII-233,
running Linux 2.2.x (ITTC, University of Kansas)

		roel