[unisog] Suggestions for bridging firewall?

Curtis Kline ckline at housing.ucsb.edu
Tue Oct 29 22:54:59 GMT 2002

We use a Cisco PIX 515E for a very similar purpose. With Cisco's
educational discount pricing, they were very price-competitive with the
smaller offerings like SonicWall. And you don't have to worry about
Cisco dropping off the face of earth (well, not much, anyway).

I've used Checkpoint 4.0 on various platforms in the past, and found the
UI to be vastly superior to Cisco's latest web-based one. Other than
that, I have no complaints about the PIX. It is a solid performer and
quire reliable. Now that they base their rulesets on ACLs rather than
'conduits', it's much more intuitive for someone with Cisco IOS
experience.

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Curtis

Curtis Kline
Residential Network Coordinator
University of California Santa Barbara