[unisog] Suggestions for bridging firewall?

Steve Bernard sbernard at gmu.edu
Wed Oct 30 20:42:23 GMT 2002

OpenBSD used 'ipfilter' for a long time but, removed it at version 3.0
because of incompatible licensing changes that were made by the developer of
'ipfilter', Darren Reed. Within a couple of weeks Daniel Hartmeier wrote a
complete replacement for 'ipfilter', 'pf', which is almost 100% ruleset
compatible with 'ipfilter'. The two have some differences but are mostly
similar. 'pf' does all of the standard stuff like stateful inspection,
scrubbing for bad packets, TCP/UDP/ICMP protocols, redirection, NAT, etc. As
I stated before, it is very easy to configure OpenBSD, and FreeBSD for that
matter, as a "transparent" bridging firewall, or as a routing firewall.
OpenBSD has the advantage, in my opinion, because the VPN services are
better and OpenBSD's central purpose is to be a proactively secure OS, with
features like privilege separation, limited 'suid' and 'sgid' programs, work
on ACLs, and support for many hardware platforms. That's not a knock against
FreeBSD or Linux, I just believe that OpenBSD is a better choice for network
security devices.

Regards,

Steve Bernard
Systems Engineer, NET