[unisog] Slashdot's UCSB Article

Daxter Gulje dgulje at housing.ucsb.edu
Mon Sep 30 16:49:19 GMT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Bird [mailto:RobB at housing.ufl.edu]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 6:48 AM
To: unisog at sans.org
Subject: [unisog] Slashdot's UCSB Article

>Is there any truth in this article? Does anyone know?

	Yes there is, and yes, we do ;).  Before anyone decides to fill their flamethrowers with Napalm and accuse of being ignorant, lazy, loafabout network admins, I encourage you to read our reasoning behind it (most of you already know why we would do such a thing, seeing as how many of you are busy dealing with Win2k compromises, and have been since school started up) at www.resnet.ucsb.edu.
	I love all the hate mail we're getting from the /. zealot community..."Haven't you idiots heard of Service Packs?", "How much money is M$ putting in your pockets?", "WinXP is more secure than 2000?  Your [sic] retarded!", "Linux would be WAY better than XP!".
	What I know that many of you will get a chuckle out of is the thought of trying to convince Amber the Cheerleader or Race the Fratboy to install Linux...or to maintain proper patches/upgrades to a Win2k box.

>thanks,
	You're welcome...

/Dax <--ig'nant network administrator, or BOFH?

Daxter Gulje
Assistant ResNet Coordinator
University of California, Santa Barbara
805.893.4747

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/30/0010236 <http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/30/0010236&mode=nested&tid=109> &mode=nested&tid=109
rob
-
Robert Bird, Supervisor of Network Services
University of Florida Division of Housing
robb at housing.ufl.edu