[unisog] Re: OpenSSL worm in the wild

John Stauffacher stauffacher at chapman.edu
Mon Sep 16 19:05:05 GMT 2002

>From the MTIMEs on the files the date was this morning around 11 or so
and I got the email around 11:40...

++
John Stauffacher
Network Administrator
Chapman University
stauffacher at chapman.edu
714-628-7249

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Van Epp [mailto:vanepp at sfu.ca]
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 11:59 AM
To: John Stauffacher
Cc: unisog at sans.org
Subject: Re: [unisog] Re: OpenSSL worm in the wild

> We've had one so far:
>
> 206.211.137.29
>
> Thanks goes to f-secure for their timely warning that the box was
hit...

	I guess that depends on your definition of timely :-) I just
received
(and answered) a notification from them of my machine compromised on
Friday
(and removed from the network Friday :-) ). To be fair I imagine they
just got
the service up and are notifying the backlog many of which, unlike us,
won't
have caught the infections yet.