[unisog] QMS printer sending data to Internet sites?

rossd at me.berkeley.edu rossd at me.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 16 19:59:09 GMT 2002

Rita Seplowitz Saltz on Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 03:50:30PM -0400:
> We received (and verified) an odd report.  A QMS printer on campus appears
> to be sending packets to Internet sites, which perceive the traffic as the
> usual hostile scans.  Has anyone else seen this rather bizarre phenomenon?
> Rita Saltz
> Policy and Security Advisor
> Office of Information Technology (OIT)
> Princeton University
> rita at princeton.edu

There was a good overview of the problem in a Freshmeat.net editorial

Network Printers and Other Peripherals -- Vulnerabilities and Fixes
http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/445/

Ross Dmochowski   /  Programmer Analyst III  \   rossd at me.berkeley.edu
UC Berkeley Mechanical Engineering, 2113 Etcheverry Hall, 510-643-0873
PGPID#:0x631A3396