[unisog] QMS printer sending data to Internet sites?

William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) wcolburn at nmt.edu
Mon Sep 16 22:57:38 GMT 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 05:51:20PM -0500, E. Larry Lidz wrote:
> I'll say that, in general, printers worry me quite a bit. Right now
> the one in my office is out of paper because some would-be copyright
> violator saw that the PORT1 directory on its ftp server was world
> writable and tried to put some movie or something onto it causing a ton
> of garbage to be printer out. As far as I can tell there is no way to
> disable any of the services that the thing provides (of which I only
> really want to have the lpd port open).

If it is an HP printer (or based on HP code), send it a code 144 in its
bootp packet pointing to a tftp file containing a line like  "allow:
<ipaddress>" (where <ipaddress> is a dotted quad).  Only that IP address
can communicate with the printer over the network.

--
William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn at nmt.edu>
Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology