[unisog] QMS printer sending data to Internet sites?

H. Morrow Long morrow.long at yale.edu
Tue Sep 17 02:07:24 GMT 2002

My humble personal feeling is that networked printers should be on
RFC1918 private IP addresses.

In almost all cases there is neither a need for them to be accessed from
the Internet (e.g.
people printing from the Internet to your printers) nor a need for the
printer to access the
Internet.  The printers just end up getting attacked from the Internet IMHO.

Moving a few thousand networked printers to 172.16.*.* is one of my
initiatives for this next year.

H. Morrow Long
University Information Security Officer
Dir. InfoSec Office