[unisog] Odd scan - ports 57 and 80

Conor McGrath conormc at uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 18 17:46:26 GMT 2002

Anderson Johnston once said:

> This is from the daily nastygrams we generate.  We got a scan of port 80
> and of port 57 (Mail Transfer Protocol - RFC 780).  Anybody seen anything
> like this or have any idea why someone might want to scan these particular
> ports?

We've been seeing port 57 in combination with scans for http and ftp for
a few weeks now.  I have no idea why they're scanning for 57 as none of
the hosts on our network seem to respond.

Also, most, if not all, of the 57 scans that we are seeing are coming
from Deutsche Telekom.

> In this case, we can identify the IP's users as well as their ISP, but
> neither group may know that this is going on.

If one of our machines starts scanning outward for 57 I'll definitely try
to take a look at it to see what I can find.

-Conor

[snip]

--
Conor McGrath                                           Phone: (773)702-7611
Network Security Officer                                Fax:   (773)834-4888