[unisog] mail packages

Eric Pierce epierce at usf.edu
Mon Sep 23 13:20:02 GMT 2002

We've been using CommuniGate Pro on a Sun E3500 for almost a year and
have been very pleased with it.  We were replacing Sun Internet Mail 3
(now iPlanet Mail), which I found to be very slow and buggy.  We first
saw CGP in a NetworkWorld article about 2 years ago that compared
several of the top "enterprise-class" Email servers.  CGP won the
comparison by a pretty wide margin.

Here's my two cents:

Management:  Very, very simple.  Their web-based console is easy to use
and has real-time data on just about every statistic you could want.

Reliability: We haven't had ANY unscheduled down-time.  We've only had a
couple minutes of scheduled down-time, and that was for an upgrade.

Support:  Excellent.  The support staff and developers at Stalker are
top-notch and they actually listen to customer feedback.

I haven't used the commercial Sendmail product, so I can't give you any
information there, but I would definitely recommend Communigate.  If you
need more detailed information, let me know.

-Eric

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 14:55, hermit921 wrote:
> I have been asked to compare CommuniGate with Sendmail.com's mail
> package.  In terms of offered features they seem fairly similar.  Opinions
> on management and reliability and support need to come from experience.
> Will people share their evaluations and experience?  This is not for a
> massive system, only a few thousand accounts.
>
> Thanks,
> Neil Ratzlaff
> University of California

Eric Pierce                             Phone: (813) 974-8868
Academic Computing                      Fax:   (813) 974-1799
University of South Florida