[unisog] Supplying Account Names to Students

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Thu Sep 26 23:32:26 GMT 2002

	I expect that given (for instance) a student number we would tell them
their ID by phone. The account management system and the portal are set up
to also record a series of challange response pairs which an authorized person
(one of the Computing Center directors) can decide to use by phone to verify
an ID by phone and issue a new password.  Another one we have done is issue a
new password to an administrator or faculty member in the department where the
person is a student/works and make the person contact the administrator or
faculty member who can identify them by voice to get the new password (this
has an obvious security problem and is thus rare). This too needs the approval
of one of the directors.
	The general case to any of: too many attempts to create an account via
the portal, making me supicious that the account is being shared or
compromised or a variety of other sins and ommissions, is that the account will
be disabled (or in more serious cases locked) in the account management system.
For a disabled account they need to appear in person with picture ID at one of
our outlets (we have someone on all campuses) to get a new password set. In
the case of a locked account (which is usually cracking outwards from our
systems) the user needs to make an in person appointment and convince one of
the computing center directors to return the account (or it can go to formal
proceedings at either party's request and sometimes has).