[unisog] Heavy UDP port 137 scans today?

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Sun Sep 29 19:27:41 GMT 2002

	Yep, me too although here it looks to have been going by 06:30 Friday
morning when the argus logs cycled. My guess is we are seeing either some new
worm or someone without antispoof filters that is forging scans from a single
site. It looks (at a quick manual look) to be doing a limited number of hosts
(perhaps as I have seen before less than the default scan detect limit of at
least dragon ...) in a subnet then switching both source IP and range in our
class B (although a number of our Cs are showing up as well).
	Hmmm, one host going by is a local ADSL host. Trying to ping it gets
%80 packet loss. I wonder if this is a DDOS attack of some kind or if thats
just a byproduct of whatever this is.