[unisog] Recent increase in RIAA complaints

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Fri Apr 18 17:28:13 GMT 2003

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 11:20:53AM -0500, E. Larry Lidz wrote:

> Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu writes:
> >If someone has the magic solution for this let me know.
>
> If you don't have a Packeteer or other application-level rate limiting
> box, you should seriously consider them. They've got their limitations
> (new P2P programs, they're a bit limited bandwidth-wise), but they're
> wonderful devices.
>
> -Larry
>
> ---
> E. Larry Lidz                                        Phone: +1 773 702-2208
> Sr. Network Security Officer                         Fax:   +1 773 834-8444
> Network Security Center, The University of Chicago
> PGP: http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml

	And if you add bandwith tracking (argus in our case) so that you can
play whack-the-mole (or more correctly please-justify-the-bandwith-use), which
I expect to also deal with encrypted channels, from unusual traffic spikes as
well as your Packeteer life is even better. The Packeteer limits a lot of the
abuse and the newest P2Ps (BitTorrent being the current rage here) get caught
on traffic and can be asked about within a semi acceptable (or at least so far
achievable) workload.
	While I'm here I'm curious if other Canadian sites are getting RIAA
messages. We haven't seen any (two complaints from movie companies, both
which had been dealt with for traffic before the complaint hit) has been it
for us so far this year, nothing from RIAA. That may be because our resnet is
contracted out so I don't see the complaints from that, we have been lucky and
not gotten caught (and/or are whacking them before they become large enough to
get noticed as part of bandwith cost containment), because there is no DCMA
(and/or that the blank media tax that we do have makes this in some sense
"legal" here in Canada ...) or something else I haven't thought of :-)