[unisog] Blocking Kazaa

Matthew West mwest at cs.uct.ac.za
Tue Apr 8 23:10:48 GMT 2003

Hi

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 at 17:47:28 -0300, Marcos Guerra wrote:
> I would like to know how to block the Kazaa program through my
> firewall.  As far I know, it uses port 80 and I cannot block this
> port, I try to block port tcp 1214 and didn't work, cause it will
> use port 80 to connect and downloads.

What are you using as your firewall?

If you are using a piece of Cisco hardware, you may be able to make
use of IOS' "Distributed Network-Based Application Recognition"[1].

If you are using a software router (say, FreeBSD with ipfirewall),
then you can make use of an IDS like Snort[2].  I have set Snort up to
detect, and then drop, KaZaa and other FastTrack protocol packets, and
it seems to work pretty well.

mwest at cs.uct.ac.za

[1] http://tinyurl.com/7075
[2] http://www.snort.org/