[unisog] Recent increase in RIAA complaints

Ken Connelly Ken.Connelly at uni.edu
Thu Apr 10 19:49:08 GMT 2003

Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu wrote:

>Universal Studios sent us 31 copyright violation notices on February 28,
>like they did many of you.  That was our old record.
>
>Yesterday, April 9, the RIAA sent us 40 copyright violation notices - all
>for different IPs, and all with multiple files referenced per complaint.
>On April 4 (the day after the lawsuit against) they sent us 8.  Previous
>to that they only ever sent us a few at a time, and never very frequently.
>
>Has anyone else noticed an increase in the number of copyright violation
>complaints the RIAA has filed with them?

Yes, we've seen a substantial increase over the past week or so,
including several "correction" notices yesterday because someone at
riaa.com aparently thought daylight savings time started on 1-April and
the time zone mentioned in messages from part of the first week of April
said "EDT (-0400)" instead of "EST (-0500)"...

>Phil
>
>=======================================
>Philip A. Rodrigues
>Network Analyst, UITS
>University of Connecticut
>
>email: phil.rodrigues at uconn.edu
>phone: 860.486.3743
>fax: 860.486.6580
>web: http://www.security.uconn.edu

- Ken
Ken Connelly (KC152) Systems and Operations Manager, ITS - Network Services
University of Northern Iowa                     Cedar Falls, IA  50614-0121
email: Ken.Connelly at uni.edu    phone: (319) 273-5850    fax: (319) 273-7373