[unisog] Zenworks

Bill Martin bmartin at luc.edu
Thu Apr 17 17:43:35 GMT 2003

Lee Anne,

ZenWorks has expanded over the years.  There are multiple version and functionality.  I will assume for this response that you are referring to ZenWorks for Desktops.

>From the desktop standpoint, Zen for Desktops (Zfd3) is relatively robust and useful. Assuming you have your tree structured well, the security risks are minimal.  We use it for our entire institution and have had a great deal of success with it.  There are however some nuances which would be difficult to itemize in mail.

Every organization will use different pieces and in slightly different manners.  What I can say is that I had worked with MS SMS some time back and now have extensive experience w/ Zfd3, to compare them would be like apples and oranges.  Each has its strong points and weak points as well.

If you do encounter problems with Zfd, there are always work arounds.  If you will be managing Windows desktops, your experience will be at times difficult to understand what takes place when, but all and all, from a security standpoint, you risk is or can be greatly reduced using *ANY* central delivery model if your organization is tight to begin with.

-bill martin-
loyola university chicago

>>> "Hart, Lee Anne" <lhart at mc.cc.md.us> 04/16/03 10:46AM >>>
We are implementing Zenworks and I am interested in hearing other
peoples experience with that product in terms of any added security
benefit and/or increased security risk as well as your opinions of the
product.  Thanks,

Lee Anne