[unisog] Recent increase in RIAA complaints

Stephanie A Hagopian shagopia at email.unc.edu
Fri Apr 18 17:46:10 GMT 2003

We cut off the network connection of every MAC address associated with
the IP that we receive from a DMCA complaint and send a formal letter to
the client associated with that IP (after confirming that the
information the DMCA sent us was legitimate) By severing a connection by
blocking the student/staff's MAC address, we provide incentive for the
client to come and meet with our Postmasters and sign a copy of our
Appropriate Use Policy form, which also warns them that a second offense
will result in a hearing with the Honor Court. We also will not restore
their Internet connection until they remove the offending material. We
rarely see 2nd time offenders, because this policy is somewhat harsh.

We also have been trying to raise awareness to students that trading
files is against University Policy. Via Resnet, we have posters in all
the computer labs and many of the dormitories explaining that movies,
software and games are also just as illegal to download/upload as music.
We also have the Kazaa license agreement posted under our policies page
so students can be more aware of what exactly they are installing onto
their machines.

We've also been fine-tuning small discussions about our copyright
policies during our new student orientations, which is somewhat easy for
us to incorporate because we require all incoming students to buy a
laptop, preferably the one preloaded by the University and sold through
the University. Anyone who buys a laptop through us must undergo
orientation for their new computer. An average of 80-85% of the machines
bought by the incoming class of Freshman buy the University laptops.
(and this number increases every year)

Due to large increases in bandwidth in our Resnet IP ranges, we've also
placed limits on the amount of bandwidth that can be uploaded from those
areas in order to reduce some of the traffic we see on a daily basis
(that is mostly file-sharing)

We also have Snort sigs that watch port 80 Kazaa on campus. We don't
track these people down but it helps us know general numbers of people
using Kazaa on a daily basis. Per safe harbor, we don't actively seek
out offenders of copyright, but if an investigation for a compromised
machine reveals one, then we are obligated to get the client to remove
the material.

Like individuals have already mentioned on this list, we are all aware
that this sort of thing is only going to be increasing in frequency, so
we must do our best to raise awareness on campus and try to help people
understand that this is a law we're abiding by and we don't have a
choice to ignore it.

Stephanie Hagopian
IT Security Analyst
University of NC-Chapel Hill