[unisog] Laptop-Only Academic Computing Environments

Darden, Patrick S. darden at armc.org
Wed Apr 30 16:58:06 GMT 2003

I'd have to add some more concerns:

- laptops are more apt to get damaged/stolen
  what about the intellectual property on the
  laptops?  ssn, bank accounts, credit cards,
  research papers, dissertations, theses,
  complete body of work....

- ergonomics

- backups--perhaps cdrws on each laptop

- data security--perhaps pgp desktop

- antivirus has to be very good, as laptops will be
  more apt to access widely divergent networks

- ditto for personal firewalls

--Patrick Darden