[unisog] "University sponsored" spam?

Stephanie Hagopian shagopia at email.unc.edu
Wed Apr 30 17:16:35 GMT 2003

Spam has increased exponentially this year nationwide. Check this link
out: http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml. Gives a full
analysis of a recent spam report done on email addresses nationwide.

Virginia just passed a law Tuesday that now makes spammers liable and
possibly eligible for serving jail time. (full story:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/04/30/fighting.spam.ap/index.html)

Our University has filtering set up to limit incoming spam and we
monitor our own network for spam relays that tend to occur via Trojans,
etc, but we can't seem to stop all of them. Currently, we're working on
creating an official Open Relay Policy document that outlines what we
consider to be spam and how we handle spam issues here at the University.

Stephanie Hagopian
IT Security Analyst
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
mailto:shagopia at email.unc.edu

[All times EDT (-0400 GMT)]