[unisog] "University sponsored" spam?

Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu
Wed Apr 30 17:37:34 GMT 2003

We have gotten spam complaints about messages that really did come from a
Professor of ours advertising a conference, for example.  In these cases
we stay way way out of it and simply pass the message along to their
Department after speaking to them very briefly.

I am not a lawyer (and never will be, thankfully) but I usually ask the
Department in question to determine if the message they or their professor
sent was an unsolicited commercial advertisement, and if it was that they
should stop or be seen as spammers.  Their response is usually that they
got the addresses from some legitimate source (like a professional
organization's member list, after they asked for it properly) and that is
was not unsolicited.

This is opposed to the 99% of the spam complaints we get that are from
open proxies on student computers - which are increasingly virus or trojan
related.

Phil

=======================================
Philip A. Rodrigues