[unisog] DShield and Symantec report MSBlast in wild

Edward W. Ray support at mmicman.com
Tue Aug 12 11:11:03 GMT 2003

>> That is because you don't have 10,000 student computers getting ready to
come back to campus in a week that will need the Windows Update site
operational. :)

I'm cringing.<<

I feel your pain; patching my home grown Windows 2003/XP domain of about 9
PCs is a piece of cake compared to your job.  My SUS makes the job a little
less automated; my computers were patched on July 17th.  SUS was a bear to
set up, but its advantages on a large network could be beneficial.

I have forgotten where I got this quote from (Rain Forest Puppy I think).  I
added a few things about my life as an IC designer to make it more suitable
to me:

"Everyone has heard the argument that there is no point in spending days
optimizing code because the speed of computers is increasing.  It seems a
bit
ironic to me that Integrated Circuits are getting smaller and improving
processor
performance so that users can run poorly designed software.  The truth of
this is
computers are being made faster so that people can do more not run the next
revision
of crapware.  Software should held to the same standards as hardware, and
liability
should reside with the producer of crappy software."

That means you, billy gates, and all other purveyors of crapware...

Edward W. Ray
SANS GCIA, GCIH

--
Gary Flynn