Blaster DDOS potential

Ed Gibson egibson at uwo.ca
Thu Aug 14 14:16:16 GMT 2003

Hello everyone

This mornings discussions around the water fountain brought forth
concern about excessive DDOS traffic being thrown outbound this weekend.
Trendmicros overview of the virus indicates that it is coded to through
DDOS at windowsupdate.com starting on August 16th. i.e. After midnight
Friday.... Obviously something we don't want ot spend our weekend
reacting to. While were cornering as best we can, the remaining Blasters
were entertaining the idea of hijacking the DNS entry for
windowsupdate.com and pointing it towards a bit bucket at least until
Monday morning.

Thoughts/comments?

Ed Gibson
University of Western Ontario