Wired and wireless nic's on a student machine

Mayne, Jim J.Mayne at tcu.edu
Fri Aug 15 13:22:16 GMT 2003

We have separate subnets for student wireless and student wired connections. We have done this mostly for manageability and not security. We are now trying to decide if we should suggest two separate profiles be created on the user's machines, each with one nic disabled, or should we go ahead and suggest both nic's to be enabled in one profile.

We would rather a student not turn on ip forwarding and give out his address as a router to others and we are wondering if having both nic's enabled will suggest this to some students. Of course if a student wanted to do this intentionally they could do it despite what we suggest.

Does anyone have any comments?

Thanks,

Jim Mayne
Sr. Network Engineer