Microsoft patches on CD (NO YOU CAN'T)

Reg Quinton reggers at ist.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 19 19:39:03 GMT 2003

We have been in the habit of distributing "at home" CD's to our Windows
community. The CD's have included the usual tools as well as Microsoft
service packs.

I am told that Microsoft is trying to stop us from distributing patches and
service packs:

From: "Carol Vogt" Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 11:45 AM
Subject: Microsoft's Denying Our Ability to Distribute Patches

> The statement did not come in any written form, but via a telephone call
> from Jason, our sales rep. He then left for two weeks vacation, but
> promised he would continue to pursue this on our behalf when he
> returned. Sandie believes he is back this week, and she will attempt to
> contact him again.

I'm quite stunned by it all. Has anyone at any other University seen
anything like this?